Sunday, June 30, 2013

Traveling to Japan: Phrase List. OUR #1 VIEWED BLOG POST

Communicating in Japan is not as challenging as I thought it would be, if you put some effort into it. Granted we have a guide who it taking awesome (!) care of us.

I surprised her last night when she told us she's on a job interview, I replied "Yosh. Gahn-bah-di-mus" means I am going for it!! 

Handy Japanese
This is a list I keep in my notes in m iPhone for easy reference

Ohio gonzi mas - good morning 
Ko-nichi-wa - Hello in the afternoon 
Ko-ni-da-wa- good evening

Oya-su-mi-na-sai Good night 
I remember it by "oh yeah, sue me, Masai" like the African tribe.

Sa-ee- oh nara- good bye

Kan kori - can coffee

"Domo arigato" thank you very much

Everyone here says 
Arigato Gonzi mas - thank you (and drag out that last "maaaaahs" part. Sounds Similar to good morning "gonzi mas"

Ohi i shi- tell someone its delicious
Or before eating "ohishi so" it looks delicious 

The numbers 1, 2, 3, are "Itchy Nissan" Itchy is one, née 2, and San 3. 
She - 4
Go - 5
Ko -6
Hi -7 he-chee
Ha 8 ha-chee
Cu -9 like cute
Ju -10 like juice

Everyone here says 
Yo roshi ku, on a guy she mas
"Please be nice to me" when asking someone to help you

Yosh. Gahn-bah-di-mus
(Yosh! Gun by de moose)
I'm going for it-- by a vending machine

Everyone here says 
--Ira sha-ee masay- welcome (at a store or restaurant)

--Sue Me Massay - sounds like its written, it's excuse me if you do something wrong, or drag out the "ay" at the end to get a clerks attention.

----Hashee- Chop sticks

--Koray-wa nan desuka- What is this? But don't ask unless you can handle the answer!!

--ja Mata - see you later

To ee ray wa doko desu ka- Where is the rest room ? There's a lot of hand gesturing, so "watch" the answer

My Greeting:
-- Haji-me-mash-ite, Joanne Klee desu 
- allow Me to intro myself, I am JK 

--Dozo yoroshiku - nice to meet you

--Nihonjin Porando AmeriKa
- I am Polish American

I remember 
"Ha gee may mas eat aye - name - desu
"Dozo yo roshi ku
"Ni hon jin AmeriKa Porando



Japanese 10 phrases
http://matadornetwork.com/abroad/10-extraordinarily-useful-japanese-phrases-for-travelers/
1. “Yo-ro-sh-ku o-neh-gai-shi-mus.”
Yo rosh ku, on a guy she mas /must

This phrase is absolute magic. Say “yoroshiku” to any Japanese person in any situation and they will help you with anything and everything you need. It’s impossible to translate literally, but means something to the effect of “please do your best and treat me well”.

“Onegaishimasu” is a common word that means something similar to “please”.

2. “Yosh. Gahn-bah-di-mus.”
Usz, gone (boston accent) by de moose

This phrase means something like, “OK, I’m going for it,” or “I’ll do my best”. A Japanese would say “Ganbarimasu” before taking a test, or leaving the house for a job interview.

Japanese people will crack up if you say it before walking outside, eating noodles or using a vending machine.

3. “Ara! Onara suru tsu-mori datta keh-do, un-chi ga de-chatta.”

The literal translation of this useful phrase is “Oops! I meant to fart but poop came out”.

Saying this useful phrase never gets old, especially in public places, especially on a first date and most especially if it’s clearly one of only 10 Japanese phrases that you’ve memorized.

4. “Mo da-meh. Yoh-para-chatta. Go-men.” I remember by: Polish "młoda" or young and "me" "yo para" in Spanish I for "chatta" and "go man"

At some point during your stay, Japanese people will probably try to make you drink past your limit. That’s when this phrase comes in handy. It means something like, “No more, I’m already drunk, sorry.”

5. “Ko-ko wa do-ko? Wa-ta-shi wa da-reh?” Na-ni mo wah-kah-nai.”

Where is this? Who am I? I don’t understand anything.


6. “Ee-show ni kah-rah-o-keh ni ee-koh ka?”

Shall we go to karaoke together? This is a good line to use if trying to pick someone up from the bar. Think of karaoke as a transition point between the bar and the love hotel.

Note – please don’t pronounce karaoke with lots of EEE sounds. It should sound like “kah-rah-o-keh” not “carry-oh-key”.

7. “Hon-toe ni oh-ee-shee des yo!”

Use this one when eating. It means something like, “For real, it’s delicious!”

Hontou ni means “for real” or “really” or “I’m not kidding.” Japanese people are always telling sweet little white lies, so dropping a “hontou ni” from time to time is very much appreciated.

8. “Ah-nah-tah wa ha-ruh no ee-chee ban no sah-ku-rah yo-ree u-tsu-ku-shee.”

This classic Japanese pick-up line means “You’re more beautiful than the first cherry blossom of spring.”

9. “Ni-hon dai-skee”.
Japan is the best. I love Japan. When in doubt, just smile, nod and repeat.

10. “Koh-nah ni kee-ray na to-ko-ro wa hah-jee-meh-teh mee-tah!”

Japanese people love it when you gush about their country. This phrase means, “I’ve never seen a place so beautiful before”.

I didn't use any kanji characters, but if your attempting to try this is a nice site to review.

Happy Travels!!

No comments:

Post a Comment